[nafex] Honeyberry/Haskap discussion thread (permaculture forum at permies)

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 01:57:05 EST 2012

Being from Southern BC, I think that Haskaps/Honeyberries taste like blueberries crossed with oregon grapes which is not very helpful since most people have never eaten oregon grapes!  They have way more flavour than a blueberry and I love eating them out of hand, but they are not a sweet.

My Tundra and Borealis produced a bit last year and the year before, hopefully they will do something big this year.  They are larger and fatter berries, but I really haven't had enough to do a taste test between all our varieties and my 150 seedlings: I love them all and they all taste the same to me!  Tundra and Borealis were plugs when I got them and they have been thru the ringer with me: two years of not so controlled weeds and then transplanted last spring to a nice tilled area which flooded most of the summer and then droughted the rest.  My berry patch area is nicely sloped, but the copious amounts of rain ran over the sod surrounding tilled area, sank into the loose earth and stayed there drowning half my raspberries, rhubarb, saskatoons, gooseberries and currants.  I think the only thing that didn't die in large numbers was the honeyberries!  They are so tough, my older bushes produced huge crops even though they were in grass the same 5'
 tall as they are!  And they made it thru -46F with no winter protection.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB