[nafex] 'Smaragd' Columnar Apples

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Jan 19 20:43:52 EST 2012

Columnar apples will branch, but mostly long straight limbs that arise low on the trunk. I've seen old "Wijick" trees with side branches that looked like Lombardy poplars in form.
The columnar trait is a single dominant gene, so a normal x columnar cross gives 50% columnar seedlings. Since the trait is visible in very young seedlings, it's easy to breed.  At one time there were at least 2 private breeders in NAFEX working on columnar apples, but I forget their names.
-Lon  Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com  Winner  GWA "Best Talent in Writing"  2003.
Grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/