[nafex] 'Smaragd' Columnar Apples

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Thu Jan 19 15:38:39 EST 2012

I read this in the current issue of "The Avant Gardener" and wonder if any
of you have knowledge or experience with this propagation program.
--------------
"New breeding work in Serbia is reviving interest in columnar apples.
'Smaragd', the first introduction from the University of Novi Sad (21000
Novi Sad, Serbia), is a cross of 'Granny Smith' x 'Wijcik'.  The green
fruits are described as having "fine, crisp, juicy white flesh" with
fine-grained texture and taste superior to 'Granny Smith'.  The tree grows
erect and densely columnar, with large and leathery leaves.  Depending on
rootstock, 'Smaragd' can grow to about 5 feet in the ground or shorter in
pots.

'Smaragd' is not patented, and limited quantities of budwood for commercial
propagation are being released by the University."

Doreen G. Howard
gardendiva at charter.net
Read my blog at The Old Farmers Almanac site:
http://www.almanac.com/gardening/blog