[nafex] Pineberry

Melissa Kacalanos mijwiz at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 15:22:25 EST 2012

Sarah and all,

Some of the wild strawberries around here are white. (This means that the local creatures think that white means ripe when it comes to strawberries, and eat my cultivated strawberries before they get anywhere near ripe.) If you like, Sarah, I could save seeds from these white strawberries this June and send them to you. (I could also send plants to people in the US who want them.) The plants and berries are bigger than the usual Fragaria vesca (which we also have in abundance as a lawn plant, with tiny red berries.) I think this white-fruited strawberry might be the local version of F. virginiana. The plants send out lots of runners. When ripe, it's easy to pull the fruit off the calyx, so they're definitely different from this pineberry, which is shown with the calyx attached in the pictures. They're tasty, but I like my 'Mara de Bois' better.

I'm also growing NW 90054-37 = PI 641196, a "black" (actually disappointingly maroon) strawberry I got from Corvallis.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/53581500/catalogs/fradark.html

It's a nice strawberry, just not as distinctive as I was hoping. US folks, let me know if you'd like a plant of that, as it's sending out lots of runners.

Melissa