[nafex] Apricot kernels

David Consolvo fruitopia at firstva.com
Mon Jan 16 11:39:04 EST 2012

By the way, cyanide, while potentially acutely lethal, has little danger in small
amounts over the long term.  It is not known to cause cancer like tiny amounts of
carcinogens can, and it does not accumulate in the body like some toxic metals do.
There have been health problems found with chronic exposure at industrial jobs
when breathing cyanide, but that's probably quite a heavy exposure.  And there
have been chronic health problems found with high cassava diet, theorized to
possibly to be related the cyanide in cassava, but then people who live on cassava
tend to have lots of other dietary problems.  But I don't worry about eating small
amounts of apricot kernels over the long term.

Thanks to Melissa for her internet research, and to Chiranjit for his many
contributions over the years from a south Asian perspective.  We don't get enough
info from outside the "N.A." portion of NAFEX.

~David Consolvo, MD
Hungrytown, Virginia