[nafex] [nafex ibiblio list] Apricot kernels

Melissa Kacalanos mijwiz at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 10:24:20 EST 2012

Now that I'm googling apricot kernels, I'm finding lots of vendors (including Americans) selling ordinary, bitter, poisonous apricot kernels as if they were a health food. That may have been the case with these Pakistani imports, with someone trying to make money selling what's otherwise a useless agricultural waste product. There's much less regulation and enforcement of this sort of thing than we think there is.

However, there are some cultivars of apricot that do lack the genes that would enable them to make cyanide. Kernels from these cultivars are safe and delicious. I see 'Harcot' listed as one of these sweet-pit varieties, so they should be safe to eat in quantity. I'm having trouble finding a more complete listing of sweet-pit apricot cultivars, though. I see mention online that these have sweet pits: 'Chinese,' 'Hunza,' 'Robada,' 'Montrose,' 'Canadian White Blenheim'... There must be a list online somewhere, but I'm not finding it.

Melissa