[nafex ibiblio list] Apricot kernels

David Consolvo fruitopia at firstva.com
Sun Jan 15 19:47:50 EST 2012

I find that kernels of the apricot "Harcot" are delicious, very almond-like.  I limit
myself to five at a time, though, since apricot kernels have cyanide.

Wikipedia says that despite being used/eaten in central Asia and around the
Mediterranian:

"In 1993, the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets tested the
cyanide content of two 220 gram (8oz) packages of apricot kernels that were
imported from Pakistan which were being sold in health-food stores as a snack.
The results showed that each package, if consumed entirely, contained at least
double the minimum lethal dosage of cyanide for an adult human. The apricot pits
were recalled and removed from stores.[3] In spite of this, there were no USA
deaths and only one serious toxicity from apricot kernels reported from 1979 to
1998.[4] On average, an apricot kernel contains about 0.5 mg of cyanide."

~David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia

Sent via the WebMail system at mail.firstva.com