[nafex ibiblio list] Experience with perry pears?

Claude Jolicoeur cjoli at gmc.ulaval.ca
Sun Jan 15 05:52:07 EST 2012

Le 12:57 12.01.14, vous avez écrit:
>It is tree-ordering time (for me) and this year my mind has turned to perry
>pears -- or you may want to call them something else. There are not many
>cultivars for sale in the US (or Canada I belive) and not much information
>about them. Would people with experience like to pass it on?

I have 6 perry pear varieties near Quebec, zone
4: Blakeney Red, Gin, Hendre Huffcap, Thorn,
Winnal’s Longdon and Yellow Huffcap. They all
seem hardy enough, fairly vigorous except
Blakeney Red, but all are quite shy producers.
Another problem is it seems the season is too
short here for the fruit to mature properly - only Thorn really ripens well.
Claude