[nafex ibiblio list] Peach kernel - substitute for sweet almond(making marzipan)?

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar parmarch_mnd at dataone.in
Sun Jan 15 05:29:40 EST 2012

I do not agree that ALL all stone fruits have poisonous pits.

There are many varieties of apricots, especially which come here from
Afghanistan, which have sweet and edible pits.  There are also some wild
apricots which have sweet pits.  The kernels of a wild growing apricot
CHULLI (details available in Fruitipedia t the link,
http://fruitipedia.com/chulli_apricot.htm) are edible, used as almond
substitute and are even sold in local markets.

The kernels of many trees of the wild growing peach like fruit BEHMI
(http://fruitipedia.com/behmi.htm) are sweet and edible.

One of my former students, now a professor of horticulture, was telling me
that he had spotted a sweet kernelled peach at Sharbo (adjacent to Tibet) in
Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi HP 175001, India