[nafex ibiblio list] Peach kernel - substitute for sweet almond (making marzipan)?

Dan Nave nave1 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 14 16:27:00 EST 2012

I believe there are several apricot varieties with edible pits but I stayed away from all sweet pit
apricot varieties because we have a lot of squirrels and I was afraid that they would get into the
habit of taking all the fruit in order to get at the pits.  I remember reading that the people in
the area of north India to Afghanistan would select apricot trees not only on the basis of fruit
quality but also on the quality of their pits as well.

When we were kids (in India) we would eat an apricot and then crack the seed between the door and
door frame (heavy old doors) in order to get the pit out to eat.  They seemed fine to me, and I had
a sensitive sense of taste.

Dan