[nafex ibiblio list] Jujube nitrogen fixing?

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 12:38:54 EST 2012

We've transplanted a number of jujube trees, of various sizes, over
the last 15 years.  Have not noticed root nodules an any of these,
that were grown in four different sites, from poor to rich soils.  I
don't know whether visible nodules are the only form that nitrogen
fixation can take in woody plant roots.

Keeping in mind that 'absence of evidence is not evidence of absence',
we've not seen root nodules on our jujube plants in NE TN, that look
anything like those in clover and other legumes.  But then again, I've
never seen root nodules on locust root or autumn olive roots.

Anyone know how small and inconspicuous the sites of nitrogen fixation
can be, and still be effective?  That is, examples of documented,
nitrogen fixing tree/shrub roots with no nodules obvious to the naked
eye?

Richard Moyer
SW VA  Enjoying the mild winter, as are our earthworms that are still
out most nights.