[nafex ibiblio list] nafex Digest, Vol 108, Issue 10

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Wed Jan 11 12:53:37 EST 2012

Hi Alex,

Ziziphus (jujuba) is a member of Rhamnaceae (sister group to Elaeagnaceae - Buckthorn, containing Autumn-olive); not all member of Rhamnaceae are nitrogen-fixing, although many are.  Yet, there are even members of Ulmaceae (Elm) and Rosaceae (Rose) that have nitrogen-fixing members of the family.  Ceanothus (NJ tea, etc.), a member of Rhamnaceae, engages in nodular fixation, but as for Ziziphus - I could have sworn I read that it, too, fixes nitrogen.  I couldn't find anything supporting my assumed recollection of this, however.  So, unless someone tells me otherwise, I will not longer know jujube to be a nitrogen-fixer... ha, I actually planted it along the vegetable garden believing it would fix nitrogen!

Steve; NJ 6b/7a