[nafex ibiblio list] Autumn Olive

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Jan 9 10:34:09 EST 2012

But I don't think anybody in this conversation has recommended any
such thing as "massive removal in areas where they are not a problem".

What I was talking about was that it's not a good idea to ship plant
matter from one continent to another without checking whether, not
only the plant matter itself, but any diseases or pests it might be
carrying, could cause a problem.

Someone else suggesting using populations already present, instead of
importing additional material from elsewhere.

Neither of those are "hysterical" recommendations.

I like organic practices at least as well as you do. But that's really
a separate issue from the invasiveness question. Even when growing
organically -- maybe especially when growing organically -- one needs
to pay attention to whether what one is planting is suited to the
specific area it's to be grown in.