[nafex ibiblio list] Collecting scionwood

Elizabeth Hilborn ehilborn at mebtel.net
Sat Jan 7 14:00:24 EST 2012

I would like to collect apple and persimmon scionwood but had a couple
of questions.

This year has  been a warm one. Can I wait until later in the month to
collect (before buds swell), or will warm weather in general make the
scions less useful for grafting? Normally, we have 2 months of cold and
it is not an issue, but this year we have prunus blooming and daffodils
emerging in December- at least 6 weeks earlier than typical.

Do I give preference to collecting scionwood in the lower portions of
the plant, the so-called zone of juvenility, or does it matter?

Thanks for any insight on this!

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC