[nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 7 12:32:10 EST 2012

On 1/7/2012 11:22 AM, Elizabeth Hilborn wrote:

> If you end up resorting to seeds, there are multiple mature specimens,
> both cultivated and escaped on UNC South Campus (the old Odum Village)
> that bear regularly. I sometimes beat the squirrels to some fruit.

Hah, good for you, Betsy. I used to pick chanterelle mushrooms growing
in the pine woods between the walking path and Kenan Stadium. They came
back every year. I assume that there are variations in fruit size and
shape and proportion of seed to pulp between varieties of Autumn Olive.
The ones in this picture:
http://www.sierrapotomac.org/W_Needham/Pictures/AutumnOlive_Massanutten%20South_10-09-04.jpg
are larger, rounder and brighter red with less speckles than the ones
I have on my property which are smaller and oblong in shape. I finally
have a good stand of them with seedlings around them that are
developing. I have been waiting for years for this. Mine are good
bearers but there isn't a lot of pulp and juice in the fruit. Maybe I
can make up for this with quantity and processing them in a hand crank
food mill/masher as depicted in a video I saw. I would like to make
batches of pulp and juice to add to fresh raw fruit salad - they would
probably go well with apple, raisins, soaked dry apricots and maybe
dates....visions of ambrosia.
Another inspiring video:
MoonwiseHerbs Herbal Homestead YouTube Channel
Harvesting and processing Autumn Olives, Eleagnus Umbellata
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXu2RN4Gz4o&feature=related
many more videos on this page about this fruit, its uses as food and
in permaculture.