[nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant

Evan kodama at riseup.net
Sat Jan 7 10:36:28 EST 2012

Lawrence,

Chances are good that plants are well distributed in the piedmont. I've seen high concentrations of them on roadsides in Chatham County for example. Autumn olive can be propagated by hardwood cuttings, so if you find a plant you may be able to take a few cuttings to root and later set out. The ripe growth of A.O. takes on a rusty shimmer spotted with silver this time of year, the ground beneath them is littered with silvery leaves, and they often bear thorns.

cheers,
Evan