[nafex ibiblio list] [Bulk] Nick Bottner's collection

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Jan 6 23:54:20 EST 2012

Nick lives in my state, Oregon.  The Home Orchard Society might be able to suggest something.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com  Winner  GWA "Best Talent in Writing"  2003.
Grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/

On Jan 6, 2012, at 8:14 PM, sherwin wrote:

On 1/6/2012 7:16 PM, david.maxwell at dal.ca wrote:
> Nick has apparently decided to quit.  His property, with trees, beasts, and beautiful house is
> advertised for sale.  This raises a significant question, which harkens back to a posting I
> made a week or two ago:  what is going to happen to his collection, which is billed as "the
> largest private collection in the Milky way".  He has something in the order of 4000 cultivars.
> Compare this with the Geneva repository, who apparently have about 1500.  That is, there
> are about 2500 cultivars in Nick's orchard that do not even exist in the official government
> germplasm repository.  With luck somebody will buy Nick's place who will maintain the
> collection.  But there is a real risk that some rich developer or something could buy it and
> bulldoze the whole thing, with the loss of all this material.

    It would be interesting to see even a partial list of the more
interesting varieties Nick has.

   Someone should approach whatever State he lives in for interest in
making it a state park.  Also,
   a nearby university may want to take it over.

                                                  Sherwin Dubren
Subscribe, unsubscribe, change user configuration, list information:
Google command to search the list message archives, located here:
nafex list mirror sites:
http://nafexlist.blogspot.com/
nafex list website (reference library)