[nafex ibiblio list] Creating microclimate: fruit trees next too house - ...

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Thu Jan 5 20:37:08 EST 2012

In a message dated 1/5/2012 6:59:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
filtertitle at aol.com writes:

> Group:
> My house is in New Jersey - the prevailing winds come from the northwest.
> I. Kaki persimmons
> I'm considering planting Asian persimmons (on D. virginiana rootstocks) on
> the north side of my less-than one-story house (which just a little bit
> further north, is another house - so the north side is really just the south
> side of my neighbor's property just north of my house.The tree's will be
> planted (no choice on the distance) about 8 feet from my house and about 10
> feet south of my neighbor's house.  I read that even though you get some
> winter protection, the winds run around the sides of the house, so maybe this
> makes it worst for marginally hardy trees?  I also read that bark-cracking
> can happen on the south side of the property/home in winter when directly
> exposed to sun.Will roots be a risk to the foundation of the house - this is
> not an Oak tree, etc.
> Also, because of the winds rushing faster around the house, am I
> better-off just planting these trees on the east side of the house?  If I do that,
> they would be planted between 15 and 25 feet away from my house.
> Lastly,
> II. Pomegranate, Fig, etc.
> Will partially hardy fruit trees (like fig and 'Kazake' cv. pomegranate)
> be less likely to have their roots die, in the event that the winter is cold
> enough to kill the plant to the root crown, if they are planted just a few
> feet away from a house?  I bet that the ground surrounding the house
> (where the basement is heated, especially) is going to be a bit warmer than the
> ground would, otherwise, typically be.

Steve,

Normally, to get protection from the South side of a building the trees
need be closer than 10 feet. One foot is better. Five feet would afford little
protection. So if you plant on the North side which in normally colder and
10 feet from the neighbors south side, little or no protection you are
choosing the coldest scenario. I'd plant on the South side and paint the tree bark
white to protect from winter sun heating, called sun scald.

I wouldn't worry about the D. Virginiana roots getting into the house
foundation.

I hope some others will weight in on this also.

Jerry