[nafex ibiblio list] Manchurian apricot (P. manshurica) - worth growing in zone 6?

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Thu Jan 5 00:42:55 EST 2012

Group:
I am planting an apricot (P. armeniaca) cv. Jerseycot.  I have a select seedling of Manchurian apricot (P. armeniaca var. mandshurica).  I understand that Manchurian apricot is very good for drying and has a strong flavor, from what I hear; and is great for making jam.Perhaps it can serve as a pollinator for my Jerseycot true apricot; I've seen a lone apricot produce no fruit for lack of a pollinator, I suspect - I'm not sure if that's the case with cv. Jerseycot.
Flavor-wise, is there any great benefit to growing Manchurian apricot for home consumption if you live in a zone where regular apricot (P. armeniaca) can be grown?
Also, to pollinate regular apricot, will 'Veteran' peach and/or sour cherry work?
Thanks,
Steve; NJ 6b/7a