[nafex ibiblio list] Nitrogen-fixing shrubs: risk for fire-bligh in pear & questions re: suckering

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 2 20:24:51 EST 2012

There is little likelihood that proximity to nitrogen-fixing shrubs will increase fireblight susceptibility or decrease winter-hardiness.  Nitrogen fixed by the bacterial/shrub partnership is mostly used by the host plant (until it dies and breaks down).  Even then, the nitrogen is released slowly- not at all like synthetic fertilizers.

If you were planting in a plot that followed plowed-under annual legumes, you might have something to worry about, but I doubt that you'll have any increased problems from partnering with N-fixing shrubs.

Anton