[nafex ibiblio list] Getting Kousa dogwood (and flowering dogwood) on it's own roots: steeping

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Mon Jan 2 19:56:23 EST 2012

Group:
If you burry the graft-union (1" caliper) of a kousa dogwood (and flowering dogwood), will the scion take root?  The purpose would be to avoid borers at the graft-union for the flowering dogwood and to avoid (yet unlikely, I suppose) future graft-rejection in both cases.  Maybe if I steep them this time of year and put sand in the hole so that there's a little less bacteria in the hole - then put some rooting hormone in the sand-filled hole?
Thanks,
Steve; NJ