[nafex ibiblio list] Nitrogen-fixing shrubs: risk for fire-bligh in pear & questions re: suckering

Hector Black hblack1925 at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 2 18:04:07 EST 2012

Hi Steven,
     You're right about Goumi not spreading by rhizomes.  It will get to be
a sizeable bush, maybe 15 ft.  But I haven't noticed the same - fixing
effect that Autumn olive has.  Seems less, although it does have the nodules
with Frankia bacteria.
     I think Goumi about get too big for pot culture.  Have your tried sea
buckthorn in your climate.  We had a lot of japanese beetle damage and our
humidity seemed to cause a problem with foliar fungi.  Pots would work for
Sea Buckthorn, but you would miss out on the N-fixing?    The foliage of
some (perhaps all?) eleagnaceae is high N.
     hector black, zone 6, middle tn