[nafex ibiblio list] Nitrogen-fixing shrubs - do they also delay winter-dormancy of marginally hardy plants?

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Mon Jan 2 02:53:29 EST 2012

Group:

I wonder if nitrogen-fixing shrubs might be detrimental to marginally hardy plants (i.e. in my climate: Morus nigra; 'Kazake' pomegranate), that the excess nitrogen in the soil (resulting from the Frankia that colonize the root nodules of the nitrogen-fixing shrubs) will delay the plants in the surrounding soil from going dormant.

Do you think that I can get by with planting thinks like sea-buckthorn and guomi in pots?

Steve; NJ 7a/6b