[nafex ibiblio list] Nitrogen-fixing shrubs: risk for fire-bligh in pear & questions re: suckering

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Mon Jan 2 00:35:37 EST 2012

Group:
I was planning on planting some nitrogen-fixing shrubs (sea-buck thorn; goumi; buffaloberry) about 15 to 20' away from of an Asian pear - then, I realized that excess nitrogen in the soil will encourage fire-blight, unfortunately.
1. Does it sound safe to say that the goumi (Elaeagnus multiflora) is the least likely to have roots that would extend far from the plant?  I assume that it doesn't spread via rhizome, that it only suckers around its base?
2. If I plant sea-buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) and buffaloberry (Shepherdia argentea) next to my lawn, will suckers extending from the plant that typically form new (yet clonal) plants at a distance from the original if I put that rubber/plastic weed barrier strip around the plant.

Thanks,
Steve