[nafex] Pin Cherry question

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Wed Dec 26 23:27:42 EST 2012

    A professor at the University of Alaska - Fairbanks told me that Pin
Cherry trees, Prunus pennsylvanica L., that grow there were imported from
the lower 48.  That area typically gets -40 F in Winter.  A former NAFEXer
in that area grows them and claims that they bear fruit every year.
    I have Pin Cherry trees, here in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota, where the
temperature rarely dips that low and my trees bear fruit only once or twice
in ten years.  So what is the possibility that Pin Cherry requires bitterly
cold weather to bear fruit?  Anyone have an idea???

Jim Fruth