[nafex] Mulching blueberries

david liezen chandos49 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 24 15:13:42 EST 2012

Jim,
I so appreciate your comments, along with the thoughtful missives from Michael Dossett. Keeping blueberries in my back yard is far simpler, it seems, than in many other areas of our fair land.

I just added sphagnum (peat) moss to shift things a bit to acid and provide some organic material to the bare sand before planting the li'l guys, soaked 'em well every week or so, depending on the weather, and waited for growth. At the end of the first season, I mulched with shavings taken out of the duck shed. Have done that only once so far. A buddy, also in NAFEX, saw them and exclaimed his aren't doing as well. His soil is more clay, from what I've seen, and I think your observations could be of help for his hope to grow blueberries.

My major concern was keeping the ducks from eating the plants down to the ground! That happened last July when a barrier got overturned a month after planting Patriot. It recovered, but I fear the newer growth may not be tough enough to handle winter. It's supposed to be quite hardy. Here's hopin'.

A Question: Several times I've seen advice to avoid fertilizing blueberries - they can be overwhelmed, apparently, chemically "burned" I suppose, which is why duck droppings can be such a boon. What do you advise in encouraging growth and fruit for blueberries?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas,

Dave Liezen