[nafex] blueberries and pH, etc

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 22 14:34:56 EST 2012

Alan,

I have no doubt that what you say about humic acid production and mulching blueberries may be true, but there are a lot of variables at play, such as what kind of mulch, or what kind of wood chips, and where the trees grew etc.  Just as there are exceptions to every rule, there are circumstances in which blueberries can be successfully grown in soils with a pH range higher than the 4.5-5.5 typically recommended; however, as a general guideline, most people will have the best shot at success if they follow this.  I have been to literally hundreds of different blueberry operations over the years, both in the NW and elsewhere (there's more than 30,000 acres in blueberry production within a 45 minute drive of my house) and the one thing I can say is that I absolutely cannot recommend wood chips as a mulch for blueberries.  While some people may have success with it elsewhere, in this area, every single field I've seen where they have mulched with wood
 chips or hog fuel, has underperformed, often times in comparison with the same variety being grown by the same person just a few rows away with conventional treatments of compost and sawdust.  As I've said, there are always exceptions.  In Georgia and Florida, most of the commercial blueberry production takes place in pine bark substrate, or with incorporated pine bark in the soil.  They have developed a system where this works for them, although they still have to acidify the soil.  In fact one very large blueberry farm I visited in Florida last month was growing primarily in a pine bark incorporated and mulched system with sulfuric acid in the water to help acidify, and they still had iron deficiency in some low spots in their fields.  It turns out that these spots were where there were limestone tailings near the surface that had been left there decades before, and they just couldn't get the soil and water acid enough in these places to avoid
 nutrient problems.

Every site is different and not all wood chips or other materials are the same, and different cultivars certainly have a range of tolerances for differing soil conditions and production practices.  I encourage people to try to get their conditions as close to what the recommendations are as a start, because I believe this will be their best chance for success.  Having said that, sometimes you have to improvise and experiment to find another solution, and I encourage people to do that too.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia
www.Mdossettphoto.com