[nafex] Saskatoons (A. alnifolia) varieties for the warmer regions

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Sat Dec 22 13:53:08 EST 2012

In addition to the typical species of serviceberry/juneberries, What varieties of saskatoon (Amelanchier alnifolia) specifically can grow in zone 6b/7a?  I believe that 'Regent' is one such that can deal with the heat.  I grow A. canadensis, A. laevis, A. stolonifera, and hybrids of these, but I'd really like to grow A. alnifolia.  It's untrue to claim they will not thrive in my region because NYC (zone 7a) has many successful, thriving plantings of it (I just don't know what varieties they plant).

I have 'Regent' (hasn't yet fruited) and might want to try Smokey, Martin and Northline.

Thanks,
Steve (NJ)