[nafex] vaccinium tolerant of alkaline soils

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 16:01:20 EST 2012

There is some work being done at Oregon State University and elsewhere with using V. arboreum as a rootstock for growing highbush blueberries.  In fact, people have been experimenting with this for the last 40+ years.  Personally, I am skeptical of this method for commercial production.  There is a reason why it has been experimental for over 40 years and why it still isn't widely used!  That said, this may be a viable option for homeowners are small-scale production in some areas.  The trouble is having access to the plants.  The other trouble is that blueberries rejuvenate themselves by producing new canes from the crown.  Canes older than 4-5 years are not very productive (and only get worse over time) and are typically pruned out to encourage new canes to break from the crown.  The most productive wood on most blueberries is 2 years old.  If you are grafted to V. arboreum then you are no longer getting new cane development from the crown and
 the plants will become less productive over time.  It also makes pruning them much trickier.

Paul Lyrene (retired) and his successor, Jim Olmstead, at the University of Florida blueberry breeding program have been working to produce hybrids with V. arboreum.  Vaccinium arboreum is diploid whereas highbush blueberry is tetraploid.  They now have some good induced tetraploid hybrids and a generation or so of backcrosses where they are starting to get commercial fruit size and quality back (V. arboreum are soft and dark and don't have as good of flavor).  Of course, breeding is a long process and I would expect that they are probably at least 15 years away from releasing any varieties from this work.  Having said that, there is a push to develop some good populations and deposit them in the National Clonal Germplasm Repository for others to start working with as well.  I know that a grant to support that project wasn't funded last year, but Paul and Jim are working to finding alternate funding to make that project possible.

V. angustifolium is an acid-loving tetraploid.  If Jim Fruth is growing it well at pH 7.3, all I can think of is that he must have lots of organic matter, lots of mycorrhizea, and no iron problems on his site.  It is a largely self-incompatible (there are a few exceptions) and rhizomatous (instead of crown-forming) species.  These have been limitations as to why it hasn't been used more as a parent, but V. angustifolium is in the ancestry of many (perhaps most) modern highbush blueberry cultivars.  'Patriot' has it as a grandparent, and some of the initial selections that Coville used in making the first blueberry crosses in the early 1900s are believed to have been naturally occuring 1/2 or 1/4 angustifolium hybrids.  The modern half-high cultivars such as 'Chippewa', 'Polaris', 'Northsky', 'Northblue' and 'Northcountry' all have a high percentage of V. angustifolium parentage.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia
www.Mdossettphoto.com