[nafex] Soil pH

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 15:19:06 EST 2012

Jay,

I'm afraid I don't have any great suggestions.  Pete Tallman's method of growing in bales of peat is probably a good start, but doesn't solve the problem of alkaline water.  The only way around that that I know of would be constant mitigation with either sulfate or adding acid to your water.  Blueberries are grown commercially in many areas with high soil pH and high water pH, but in these production areas, acidifying the water with hydrochloric or sulfuric acid through the irrigation lines is standard practice.

It may be worth trying to grow in bales of peat and treating your blueberry water with vinegar.  With high levels of calcium in your water, I'm sure you'll have to be vigelent about watching your EC though.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia
www.Mdossettphoto.com