[nafex] Was:Pine needle mulch, now: Blueberries in high pH

Andrew Hahn andrew.p.hahn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 09:50:57 EST 2012

Thanks Lucky!
I should have said I am growing them in peat, just not in the plastic bag.
My only regret is not mixing some composted spruce needles into the peat.
It seems so lifeless even after 4 years.

I always cringed at relying on miracid to keep them going, and stopped
using it last year (that is when Duke collapsed). Instead I have been
mulching more, using organics to encourage fungi and inoculated the roots
with an ericoid mycorrhiza. There was some suggestion in papers I read that
a symbiosis with mycorrhiza is what blueberries are really missing, and
that the fungi provide the acidity they need.

I still don't think they could go strait into our alkaline soil, but
growing them with out the reliance of synthetic fertilizer would be much
more satisfying.

Andy