[nafex] Pine needle mulch

david liezen chandos49 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 15 21:24:02 EST 2012

Fascinating; Jack and Red Pine, I gather from the range maps of pine species in my old tree guide, are what most likely you find in Minnesota. The soil here in Spokane is both basalt and granitic in origins, and I supplement the ground where the blueberries were planted with peat moss, just to be safe. I have never had it tested; think it worth trying next year just because of this post.
Jim: five years sounds about right for breakdown of pine needles. I wouldn't be surprised if ponderosa needles lasted even longer. Most of our moisture comes in winter, so decomposition takes ages.
Dave Liezen