[nafex] Pine-nuts

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon Dec 10 16:45:19 EST 2012

How hard the shells are depends on the variety. As far as shelling them,
either leave them in their shells until you need them, they'll keep a long
time that way; or shell then vacuum seal them. They spoil pretty quickly
otherwise. Freezing works, but they won't keep as long as vacuum sealed.
Remove the shells by covering them with a towel then press a rolling pin up
over them, then back down. You'll hear the crack if you're applying enough
pressure. Some shells will stick to the towel for easy cleanup. You can pick
out the nutmeats, though I suppose you might be able to winnow them; I
haven't tried.

~ Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of David Consolvo
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2012 8:17 PM
To: nafex mailing list at ibiblio
Subject: Re: [nafex] Pine-nuts

I saw a Korean TV show about small-scale farming, which showed a video of
how they harvested nuts from what I assume were Korean pines.
Unfortunately, the method was climbing the 30-40 foot trees to get the
cones.

A neat trick after that was roasting the entire cones on coals of an outdoor
fire.  This not only roasted the nuts, but also opened up the cones for
easier nut extraction.

Have y'all seen the shell on pine nuts though?  They are hard.  It must take
a long time to extract much nutmeat from those little things.

~David Consolvo
Hungrytown Virginia, where the Korean pine trees are ~12 years old and only
~12 feet high.  No cones yet.