[nafex] Pine-nuts

David Consolvo fruitopia at firstva.com
Sat Dec 8 20:16:48 EST 2012

I saw a Korean TV show about small-scale farming, which showed a video of how they
harvested nuts from what I assume were Korean pines.  Unfortunately, the method
was climbing the 30-40 foot trees to get the cones.

A neat trick after that was roasting the entire cones on coals of an outdoor fire.  This
not only roasted the nuts, but also opened up the cones for easier nut extraction.

Have y'all seen the shell on pine nuts though?  They are hard.  It must take a long time
to extract much nutmeat from those little things.

~David Consolvo
Hungrytown Virginia, where the Korean pine trees are ~12 years old and only ~12 feet
high.  No cones yet.