[nafex] Prince Albert of Prussia scions?

PATTY jrplelie at centurylink.net
Sat Dec 8 12:44:51 EST 2012

Dave,

I have been finding these old European apple varieties quite intriguing.  With many of these still doing well in their home countries, I have been using Google Chrome's built in translator to get descriptions off of the European websites (nurseries and collections)  Some of the translations can be a little rough but it has been a big help.  Here is the link for one of the better sites.  It has a nice search feature.

http://www.lpv-odermuendung.de/php/data.php?F2=A&Sortenname=Graue%20Franz%F6sische%20Renette

(This link goes right to the Reinette Grise apple, which was where I just happened to save it.)

I have five acres and plan to do a take on the Streuobst (Medieval permaculture?) Genetic diversity, especialy where disease resistance and adaptability are concerned, is taken into account with a deliberate attempt to avoid many of the cultivars derived from the big 5 (Delicious, Golden Delicious, McIntosh, Cox, and James Grieve). They will be present but not in an overpowering manner.  Accessions from the ARS/Grin Kazakhstani collection are present but I may add a few from Spearheart Orchard.  Quite a few of the modern disease resistant varieties (Vf) are present but as of late the polygenic resistance of the old European apples seems like a better way to go.

It is awesome that your horticultural endeavors can add to your Medieval interests.  Makes for a nice experience.

Keep in touch

Jim Elie
zone 5a
Pulaski, WI