[nafex] NAFEX security

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Mon Dec 3 19:30:46 EST 2012

On Dec 3, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Richard Moyer wrote:

> My NAFEX password is still the default ibiblio assigned to me years ago.
> Hence unique and unlike anything else I use.  How many on this list, by
> neglect or sheer dumb luck, never bothered to change their default either.
> And therefore are more secure than those using a personalized password
> across several of their accounts?
>
> If it occurs, I'd rather someone hijack this list account than most other
> things I do online.  When reminded of my assigned password once per month,
> it's tough to forget.  Some things just best left as is....
> Richard Moyer
> SW VA
> Working in shorts and sweating while digging parsnips.

Mailing you your password is the default of "mailman" mailing lists, although either the list owner or the individual member can change that. While mailman (the software used to run this list) is quite old, it is still used for a lot of mailing lists. In general, you should not use any password for a mailing list that you plan to use somewhere else. This is not just a NAFEX issue, it's a very common issue.

On the plus side, since it mails you your password, you don't have to use something you can remember.

Ginda