[nafex] Planting hardy kiwis

Scott Smith scott at cs.jhu.edu
Thu Aug 30 13:36:56 EDT 2012

I have kiwis planted very close and it is indeed difficult to sort out who is who.  What I do is do the "sorting" in the winter when I can see where the leafless vines are coming from, giving each kiwi an exclusive zone on the trellis.  In the summer I just hedge them with hedge trimmers and don't pay attention to which vine I am pruning (except I do try to butcher my males right after bloom is over).

In the long run they will fill in any space so the only reason to have multiple females is to try multiple varieties and/or to get more fruit before they fill in.

Make sure you have at least 5' of row-feet per plant to make things more manageable.  So the number of kiwis depends on how big the pergola is.

Kiwis grow very fast and I would not put grapes on the same structure.   I have enough problems keeping the kiwis off my grapes the next row over.

Scott