[nafex] [NAFEX] Looking for recommendation for CORNELIAN CHERRY (Cornus mas), and/or scionwood or nursery source.

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 23:23:22 EDT 2012

Ginda,

Thanks for sharing.  My Pioneer started fruiting lightly about 10 years ago and has fruited only sometimes since then.  However, this year it had a huge crop of fruit, almost breaking the limbs before they started ripening and the birds going after them.  A very pretty sight (I have some pics somewhere)  I think it takes a long tome for Pioneer to get going well.  I've had much quicker results with the variety called "Yellow" which has smaller fruits but started fruiting in quantity much earlier than Pioneer did.  My Elegant died a year or two after it started fruiting, but I did prefer the fruit from that tree, as it was easier to catch it at its prime.  Pioneer, which can be really complex and delicious, is much harder to catch in its prime.  A day or two too early can be tart and unappetizing.  A day or two after prime, the fruit can go to mush.

I think it helps to have a good pollinator near by.  My Yellow and Pioneer are close to each other.

John