[nafex] Planting hardy kiwis

Caren Kirk quirky at videotron.ca
Wed Aug 29 17:12:15 EDT 2012

  This spring I dug up my male and female A. Kolomikta to extend my
deck. They have been doing fine in large pots through the exceptionally
hot summer, and now I am ready to re-plant them next to my brand new
pergola.

As I am always greedy to have more fruit, I started thinking that maybe
it could support more plants. Has anyone tried plating more than one
hardy kiwi in the same hole? I was thinking maybe 2  per trellis post
(i.e. a male and female in one hole and 2 females in the other).

Do you think there will be problems with one overtaking the other?

I was also contemplating having half of the pergola for kiwi and the
other half for a grape vine. Would one be too vigorous at the expense of
the other? Is a blue "Concorde" type grape over a wood deck a bad idea?

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC, where my poor fruit trees and shrubs have been sorely
neglected this year