[nafex] how to tell if apples are ripe?

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sun Aug 26 23:07:26 EDT 2012

On Aug 26, 2012, at 8:18 PM, Road's End Farm wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2012, at 8:08 PM, sherwin wrote:
>
>> I cannot believe animals are smart enough to know that there is
>> something yummy inside the plastic bags.
>

> Their eyes work, don't they?
>
> Underestimating non-human critters is often a bad idea.
>

> -- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 6A now I think

Their eyes work, and so do their paws. Two years ago I bagged about half the apples, and the unbagged ones were eaten first, but then the bagged ones went. Last year I meticulously bagged all the apples. Shortly thereafter, I started to find ziplock baggies on the ground. Sometimes, I found a little apple at the base of an oak tree. Once, I startled a squirrel in the tree, and it dropped an apple on to the ground. A bit later in the year, a squirrel dropped an apple onto my head! (On purpose? I doubt it, but who knows.)

This year I only bagged a couple of apples on a different tree. They all disappeared. Did the critters prefer the bagged apples? I don't know. Maybe they just preferred that tree to the Jonathan. Still, bagging is not going to protect my fruit.

I might try the bird netting next year, if the other tree produces anything.

Meanwhile, I'll eat an apple and observe its seeds.

Thanks,
Ginda