[nafex] Fruit trees' leaves dropped/dying - but green inside; cut just above graft-union?

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Thu Aug 16 22:29:30 EDT 2012

Group:
A friend of mine plants a number of fruit trees (stone-fruits, pear, etc.) bareroot this spring in clay soil.  He says they received enough rain, but I think there was drought.. not sure.
So, he showed me photos: the leaves have almost all dropped off of most of these.  He says the wood is still green inside.  If he digs around the trunks and amends with manure, and waters can he do the following to save the trees: cut off the trunk at a few inches above each graft-union so that the trees can focus their energy reserves into a small segment of the remaining scion?
Thank you,
Steve; NJ