[nafex] Relocating squirrels-trap

Scott Smith scott at cs.jhu.edu
Thu Aug 16 10:56:02 EDT 2012

I have been using Kania traps for 4-5 years and without them would be harvesting nothing.  This year even with four traps going I lost a third of my fruit -- the squirrels are out in ridiculous numbers this year and I was not trapping aggressively enough in early summer.   I have a big problem with birds eating the mast outside the trap, without which the squirrels are much less likely to find the trap.  So they need to be re-baited frequently.

My cats show no interest in my Kania traps even though they could climb right up to them if they wanted to.  I have had birds set off the trap (but not get caught), I caught a flying squirrel once in it, and one time a raccoon got his hand stuck in it and was making a huge racket in the middle of the night trying to get out of it.

I think the best way to mount them is on a moveable pole about 5' high, out of the reach of most non-target species.

Scott Z7 MD