[nafex] Relocating squirrels

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Thu Aug 16 00:07:48 EDT 2012

I live in the Adirondack Mountains of New York state. Is relocating
animals legal here? Not necessarily, but this is from a publication of
the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation:
  Best practices
for nuisance wildlife control operators in New York State....
"Trap and transfer" (a.k.a. "relocation")
Quote:
" Is this technique all bad? (If it was, would it be in this manual?
Really.) Wildlife biologists relocate animals. This technique has been
used to reintroduce wildlife into areas where they were once found, for
example, or to stock certain areas with game species, such as wild
turkey. But when it comes to nuisance wildlife, the usefulness of this
technique is debatable.... so you'll need to think about it.

Should you decide to relocate an animal, there are several things you
can do to give it the best possible chance of survival. Find an area
with suitable habitat for that species, with good and varied sources of
food and shelter. Release the animal during the time of day when it's
naturally active, for example, release a nocturnal animal at dusk or in
the evening, not in the middle of the day."