[nafex] CAR apple

Elizabeth Hilborn ehilborn at mebtel.net
Mon Apr 30 21:33:22 EDT 2012

Thanks for the advice to remove the cedars. They have had a good crop of
fungal fruiting bodies this warm spring. Unfortunately, the trees are
VERY abundant in the forest surrounding my property, and convincing my
neighbors to clear their land of cedar trees (or allow me to do so)
would be a Herculean task. The birds seem to prefer the berries as well,
any untended pasture fence line in my area rapidly grows up in red cedar.

  I anticipated the problem by planting resistant apple varieties.
Previous years when I have observed infected flowering quince or
serviceberry fruits, I have just removed the fruits. Their foliage had
been unaffected.

Most years it is controllable, but this year I see significant damage;
my apple tree has extensive damage to the new terminal growth. It
comprises about 60% of the new growth on the laterals including fruit
clusters.

I just wasn't sure if I should prune the affected portions of the apple
out.

Thanks,
Betsy Hilborn