[nafex] Baba Berry and Kiowa Blackberry and AR varieties

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 18:16:52 EDT 2012

Charlie,

Baba is a primocane fruiting red raspberry.  It has red fruit, has no blackberry charactaristics, and is most certainly not a blackberry x raspberry hybrid.  I have read enough things about Tyty on the web and heard from other people that I take anything I read on their website with a grain of salt.  I have no idea what they are selling, but if the picture matches the plant, it isn't Baba, and neither is their description.

Because you are in Massachusetts, I don't think that Baba can really be recommended for your area.  It is a low-chill variety that is heat tolerant and not terribly cold hardy (although that doesn't matter so much if you are only growing it for the primocane crop).  There are much better adapted raspberry varieties that will do well in your area that have better fruit quality and will likely perform better for you.

As for Kiowa, it is a large fruit with nice flavor, but again I'm hesitant to recommend it for you because it is not particularly cold-hardy either.  Also it suckers underground which could be a problem if you are concerned about controlling it.  I think something like Triple Crown would be a much better choice for your area.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia
www.Mdossettphoto.com