[nafex] Treating Fire Blight organically

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Sat Apr 7 21:17:38 EDT 2012

    Al Yelvington said/asked, "I'd certainly appreciate any comments and
recommendations.  I do NOT have a spray license, so un-restricted organic
solutions (proven) would be greatly appreciated."

    I treat Fire Blight with enamel paint!  My Yellow Transparent Apple tree
was infected with Fire Blight over a dozen years ago.  I tried the
recommended spray first, then pruning.  Neither worked so I sprayed the
infected bark with enamel paint (enamel finds its way into bark folds better
than latex).  The paint didn't cure anything but it stopped (slowed?)
branches from dying.  Every year I lose a couple inches in height and every
year I add more paint.  Production has been going up every year because the
side branches keep growing.  Fire Blight will (probably?) eventually kill
the tree, but had I done nothing, it would have already died.
    I side effect of painting the infection is that the paint prevents the
disease from spreading to other trees.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street