[nafex] Sulphur spray

Scott Smith scott at cs.jhu.edu
Mon Apr 2 08:39:53 EDT 2012

Caren, I would respray that one, maybe waiting a week or so since it did have some effect and you can thus cover a longer period.  It does help to have a disease spray on before a rain since rain will produce new spores which will wake up in a very unwelcome environment.  The standard saying is to use sulphur before a rain and lime-sulphur after; the l/s penetrates the leaf surface a bit and can get any freshly growing fungi.  When you spray sulphur (not lime sulphur) use a sticker, you can keep much of it on through a light rain.  I use nufilm-17 with every sulphur spray I do.

I don't know why it states not to spray sulphur on apricots - maybe some varieties are susceptible.  I was not spraying sulphur on my cots until a few years ago when I heard others were using it, and since then I have laid on the sulphur and not noticed any problems.  I have over a dozen varieties so if there are any susceptible varieties it is not that common.  One guess I had was some apricots are highly prone to brown rot shoot blight and perhaps someone mistakenly thought that was caused by the sulphur.     I did notice a bit of leaf browning on hot days so that could be another potential reason; it was so minor that it was almost not noticeable.  Sulphur is very useful for preventing peach scab on apricots, it is a big problem on Puget Gold and a few other varieties.  So it is probably OK to use.

Scott