[NAFEX] maybe a "malicious" message?

david.maxwell at dal.ca david.maxwell at dal.ca
Thu Sep 29 17:53:49 EDT 2011

Actually there are two wholly independent organisations involved here.  The ibiblio list is
hosted by the Univ. of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, who host many hundreds of "public
interest" lists, including this one.  Despite the name, this listserv actually has no official
connection to NAFEX.  NAFEX, on the other hand, has their own (newly created) website,
complete with forums, and all the paraphenalia of modern websites.  It also includes the
periodic issues of Pomona.  This website does require membership in NAFEX to access
many parts of it.  Ginda is right that membership in NAFEX can be purchased in 1,2,or 3 year
terms.  It is very possible that messages about renewal are indeed coming from NAFEX, and
refer to NAFEX membership.  Look at the sender address.  (Yes, this can be spoofed, but if it
says "nafex", it very probably is NAFEX.)  You can renew your NAFEX membership on-line
through the jazzy new NAFEX website. The iblio listserv, (this one), does not require either
membership in NAFEX, nor renewal.