[NAFEX] Chokecherry Vinegar

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Fri Sep 23 08:46:30 EDT 2011

Bob,
    My bottles are hot sauce bottles - they can be turned upside down with nothing coming out unless you shake the bottle.  I use 3 oz., 6 oz., and 12 oz.  $1.50 per ounce.

    I have a pH meter to determine acidity.

    Hypothesis/theory(?):  Since Acetobacter needs air to turn alcohol to vinegar, I would suggest that it forms the rubbery layer on top when it has completed its job, with the mother effectively cutting off the potential air supply.  What say you?

    Curiously, mother never formed on top on Strawberry, Chokecherry and Black Currant.  Instead it sunk to the bottom in bits and pieces.

Jim