[NAFEX] black soot near prunings

Elizabeth Hilborn ehilborn at mebtel.net
Tue Sep 20 21:30:44 EDT 2011

For the first time, this year I have a similar problem.

  I have had multiple pruning wound infections (black discoloration and
no callus, dependent (proximal) to pruning cuts) this year - apple, pear
and kiwi!  I don't know if it is the same thing as you describe.  I sent
kiwi tissue samples to the plant pathologist. They were able to grow out
fusarium (as I recall) but labelled it a probable saprophyte and
probably not the cause of the initial lesion.

Betsy Hilborn